Wednesday, February 17, 2010

All in the Family

Well I think a while has past since my last post. Just to catch everyone up to speed I'm living at home, commuting to Northridge everyday, which yes, fucking sucks. It takes me about an hour and forty minutes without traffic and with anywhere between 2-4 hours. With my old beast of a car it can get pretty scary. When I'm stuck in traffic I have to turn my heater up so the car doesn't overheat and crap out, which is whatever, it works I'm not complaining, but the shitty thing is that it makes me so sweaty I can just see the cars next to me like, "Why the fuck is that girl so sweaty? She's just fucking sitting there, what's she hiding?" I don't know why I'm so paranoid of this, but that's where your mind goes when your sitting in your 1989 Toyota with the heater running, tried from a long day at school, and still 4 hours of traffic ahead of you. I'm not so sure this much thinking is a good thing. In many ways it helps though, since I've started writing the much anticipated "Killer Tofu" (which is only "much anticipated" by myself, sorry I was just trying to make myself look important) anyway I've been talking about it for years and finally inks hitting the pad. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'll post some monologues I've written and a short synopsis at the end, feel free to comment on it.
Anyway Hamlet is doing well, he's gotten to be so big now, but not quite as big as other full grown pugs, so I'm convinced he's a miniature, if there is such a thing as a miniature pug. He's like a fine wine he just gets better with age. He's almost near potty trained and he just gets cuter and cuter everyday. School is going well I'm taking a shit ton of literature classes, I'm averaging about four books a week, which I'm totally happy with, I love to read and so far it's all been great. I'm really enjoying my science fiction class, it's all the stuff you want to read but never get around to. So far I've read We, Canticle of Leibowitz, Solaris, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Which have all been great I'm excited to read more. My contemporary literature class is pretty cool too I get to read Q&A which is what Slumdog Millionaire was based on, which should be a fun read and I get to read a lot of Vonnegut. My short stories class is way fun since I'm really into short stories right now. In the past month I've read one anthology of horror and one of living dead fiction which I've really enjoyed, there have been some great stuff in there! My screenwriting class is fun, I'm the only girl, which I'm quite surprised by. It can get sort of awkward sometimes when they describe their female characters in graphic physical detail or when I'm used as the meter for what's offense, but otherwise I'm glad to get back to writing.
I've been watching a lot of comedy specials thanks to Steve and I recently saw Patton Oswalt at the Irvine Improv which was awesome. It brings me back to my high school days in which I wanted to be a stand up comedian and I think I might try to get back out there and do some open mic nights. The only problem is I'm not very funny, but I'm a hell of a shit talker, and I'm good at telling strange, self deprecating stories. I hate awkward moments at my expense and if I do a lot of open mics there is bound to be a lot of awkward moments. So for now I'll just stick to being the shy writer, that seems to suite me well.
-Katie

No comments: